Monday, July 21, 2008

Life





Life has sure thrown us some curve balls lately. It has been a long year with lots of obstacles to overcome. Chase has been diagnosed with diabetes for a month now. It has been a long month filled with lots of learning, stress, and uncertainty. At first, it was a shock to learn our child that had never been sick or in the hospital had this incurable disease. The shock wore off and then the tears came when no one was around. Everyone says that is normal. I kind of went through a grieving process. Chase has endured countless injections of insulin. He got 4 a day and sometimes 5. He was always a trooper and checked his own blood sugar while still in the hospital. On Saturday he got his new pump!!!! It is amazing and no more shots for Mr. Chase!! He just told me a few minutes ago that he feels like his old self before he got diabetes. Oh and by the way, he won the foot race at a skating party on Saturday right after getting his pump. I said see, you can still do whatever you want despite diabetes!

I got some awful news on Saturday just minutes before the nice nurse came to help us put Chase's pump on. One of my very good friend's husband passed away in the early hours of Friday morning. It is so very tragic. I have known this friend most of my life and had just met her new husband last summer. They were only married 9 months. He was her soul mate and they loved each other very much. He felt like he had no choice but to do what he did due to circumstances that I won't go into. No matter what life brings your way, suicide is NEVER the answer. Our other friend and I are going to see her on Wednesday and the funeral will most likely be on Thursday. My heart breaks for her. He leaves behind 3 precious children from a previous marriage and 2 step daughters that are my friend's children from a previous marriage. Life is so short. This has brought back so many painful memories of my late husband. I know what it's like, but the circumstances are much worse in my opinion for my precious friend that I love dearly.

Ariana has been busy with tutoring this summer with a speech therapist that the school has set up for her to see to get her caught up on some academic stuff. It is going well, but she is sick of going. She goes 2 days a week for an hour. She also has participated in a speech therapy session that helps school based SLP's learn about AVT. It went well. Ariana also had a speech perception test recently that showed even more improvements. She never ceases to amaze us with her steady progress! It will be almost 3 years since getting her implants. It's so awesome due to her age, but she had been such a good hearing aid user for many years before hitting that wall. Thursday brings her regular appointment of speech therapy at her implant center. Hubby will have to take her that day. I will most likely be at the funeral and on my dear husband's Birthday. :(

Sorry I haven't posted lately (if anyone out there really reads this), but as you can tell, life has been a wee bit busy and stressful.

Blessings to you all!

No comments: