Wednesday, June 25, 2008

OmniPod



Chase came home from the hospital last night! We were so glad to be home. We are trying to explain everything about diabetes to Joseph and Ariana.Some of the terms are great words for Ariana to learn. It's a very hard thing and we are still learning and will be for quite some time. Chase knows and understands that this is not his fault and that there was nothing he could have done to prevent this from happening. The Dr. is doing a study with the omnipod and wants to see how quickly newly diagnosed kids his age can resume back to their somewhat regular life with an insulin pump. She thought Chase would be great for the study. This pump is waterproof and has no tubing. It also has a PDA. You have to change and throw away the pod every 3 days. It's really awesome. We were so excited that she is offering us this amazing opportunity. http://www.myomnipod.com/ BTW...Nick Jonas, the drummer for the Jonas Brothers has diabetes and also has this pump

One more thing, there is so much to be thankful for. As bad as it is to hear news like "your child has type 1 diabetes", there are so many children worse off. It broke my heart seeing some of them at Children's. Some of them had no hair from cancer or leukemia or had brain injuries from an accident, etc. My heart and prayers go out to those families.

They had a VBS at the hospital that Chase went to. The topic was "thankfulness". When they asked Chase what he was thankful for he proudly said his sister who survived meningitis. I teared up big time. I think he truly has a new perspective about hospitals, illnesses, and learning to overcome obstacles.

Chase going bananas!

6 comments:

mervynjames224 said...

MY partner has Diabetes, and needs injections twice daily, which is hard, as she won't do it herself,nor take her own BS readings ! So I do it. Part of the problem is her awaiting an eye operation, she says she cannot see well enough to inject herself, but it's lack of confidence really.

When she was told to start injecting after tablets failed, the DR just gave me the needle and said do it ! Afterwards they said that didn't hurt, it wasn't hard was it ? I said no, but I, am not on the receiving end !

It's a 24hr grind at times, your life as well as the patient with Diabetes revolves around those readings and that injection, it is a problem, finding ways to ignore that and getting on with your life. The fact deaf people here have no real back up to understand the condition seems to me to be a big problem to me, I'd like to see medial staff coming in to clubs and organising health classes more so deaf know how to cope with it. At present all that is happening is they are training relatives to help, and still not informing the deaf, which is dis-empowering them from managing their own issue.

VBnBama said...

Here's a hint: http://www.simaenterprises.com/ scroll on down, don't know if you have the medical bracelets yet. Both of my kids wear them that state "No MRI" and cochlear info. Now you have two kids that need them. These are cheap and waterproof. We spent 80.00 on metal ones first and they didn't last a month (scratches)! Love her tshirt "Live,Love,Hear" it's just like my mouse pad.

Anonymous said...

Interesting.

Jay Cutler, quarterback of the Denver Broncos, was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I think he also has a pump, too.

Diabetes is and can be manageable. Hang in there!

:o)

Paotie

Anonymous said...

My uncle had diabetes and it was his hypoglycemic wife who did his injections, lol. And she had to regiment two different diets for the two of them.

It is important to stay on top of the readings and also not let diabetes run your and your loved ones' lives, a delicate balance to be sure. A sense of humor helps. :)

Ann_C

Penny Ratzlaff said...

Hi. I found you by a comment you left on my blog.

My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 3 years old. He is six now. He started on the pump 5 months after he was diagnosed. I can't imagine life without the pump.

I wish you the best and if you have any questions please email me.

pennylane5001@embarqmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was actually googling omnipod to look at something for my daughter and your blog came up. I almost felt like I was being nosey, but the story of your son and daughter got my attention. My daughter also has TYPE 1 diabetes and was diagnosed in Feb 2008. Your blog caught my eye, because she is doing a study with Dr Moreland at UAB. She was put on Omnipod within three month of diagnoses. I notice you are from AL, so I was wondering if it was the same study. I would love to hear from you, and see how your son likes omnipod. My email is brandyweatherford@hotmail.com. Thanks so much for sharing your story, Brandy